Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Nichol Resigns

Gene Nichol, now-former President of the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, resigned today after being informed by the Board of Visitors that his contract would not be renewed. He was always officially a member of the law school faculty (he taught here years ago); he'll apparently be a regular professor next year. His wife was my Civ Pro professor last semester; she was very nice.

I'm not going to say much about what I think of this, as I don't see any need to make enemies. The short explanation is that he was a controversy-causing official at a university which doesn't like controversy. Taylor Reveley, Dean of the Law School, is apparently acting as President in the interim. I have no idea whether he'll become the regular President; it'd be a tough loss for the law school, even as it would be a huge gain for the university.

No comments: