Sunday, April 1, 2007

Why Would I Want to Go to Law School?

Well, I originally didn't. I entered Virginia Tech as a biology major with the intent of becoming a veterinarian or physician. Although both of my parents attended law school, I simply wasn't interested. I graduated with a degree in Political Science, but having had taken classes focusing more on theory and international politics, along with a minor in history. I had it in my head that I wanted to teach social studies, and so I went on to earn my M.A.Ed from VT. For a variety of reasons, including No Child Left Behind and the Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL) testing, I decided not to pursue teaching. I substitute taught in the local public schools, and during one day when I did not have a job I, out of boredom, took a practice LSAT from a book my roommate had. Having had no preparation, I did very, very well on it and it occurred to me that maybe, just maybe, my skills, talents, and interests would best be satisfied by studying and practicing law. I also considered eventually trying to pursue a Ph.D or Th.D down the line, but I finally came to decide that a JD would give me both the academic background to pursue further studies and write and also the ability to better act and help others. In my next post I'll discuss my applications process.

No comments: